The Memorial Associate serves as a steward of the Military Women’s Memorial. The position upholds the Memorial’s mission to honor and pay tribute to America’s servicewomen: past, present, and future. The Memorial Associate holds an essential, public role in fostering relationships with servicemembers (including servicewomen registered with the Memorial), supporters, customers, and the general public. This role requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The Memorial Associate will work directly with servicemembers, their families, and the general public by providing exceptional customer service, generating and completing sales transactions, assisting with registration, and helping with events. The Memorial Associate must be able to work a flexible schedule: weekends, weekdays, holidays, and some evenings are required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Welcome and engage visitors to the Memorial, offer exceptional customer service, and answer questions on merchandise. Uses upselling techniques to increase sales, provide information and assistance regarding the Register (database of servicewomen), direct and provide information regarding the facility, exhibits, films, events, and ceremonies
- On a daily basis, keep merchandise stocked, organized, fronted, and faced in the Gift Shop while ensuring counters, shelving, fixtures, and floors are clean and orderly. Create signage when needed. Change and refresh displays as requested by the supervisor.
- Use point of sale system. Efficiently and precisely process customer sales transactions (in-store and phone orders).
- Answer phone lines and transfer or assist callers as needed.
- Ensures phone and online orders are pulled, packaged and ready to mail on a daily basis.
- Assist servicewomen, veterans, and friends/family with our Register database. Collaborate with the Registration Department to update military service profiles, as needed.
- Submit replenishment reports to gift shop coordinator as needed.
- Assist with inventory counts and receiving process, including generating and placing bar codes and price tags on merchandise before adding items to the sales floor.
- Complete daily drawer counts, reconcile sales receipts, and complete end-of-day paperwork at the end of each shift when working in the Gift Shop.
- Assist with all aspects of events including setting up and breaking down tables and chairs, as well as other event-related tasks as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral communication, and active listening skills
- Experience in sales and customer service
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated, able to take initiative
- Able to take direction and be a team player
- Cash handling skills
- Technical capacity with proficiency in Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Salesforce, Shopify POS, and Online order processes
- This job operates in a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, POS systems, phones, and photocopiers machines
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; keyboard – type and enter data; stoop, crouch, and kneel; reach with hands and arms; push/pull objects, carts, other items; climb stairs; balance; speak or hear (in person, on telephone, remotely/virtually). The employee must lift and/or move boxes, equipment, and other items up to 40 pounds. Occasional ascending/descending of ladders may be required. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- The Military Women’s Memorial Gift Shop is open seven days a week, 362 days a year. The part-time Memorial Associate will be scheduled between 20 and 30 hours per week. Operating hours are typically Monday through Saturday from 8:45 a.m. to 5:15 PM, and Sundays from 11:45 a.m.– 5:15 PM. Evening hours may be required for some events. Days and hours of work vary and the Military Women’s Memorial reserves the right to change the operating schedule. Weekend, weekday and holiday work is required for this position.
- No travel is required for this position.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D
- Experience in customer services and retail sales
- Associate’s Degree in related field
- Experienced customer service, working in a museum gift shop or similar setting
- Military service or experience working in or with the U.S. military
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
Interested? Apply Today!
To apply, email your resume to [email protected]. Please use the name of the position for which you are applying as the subject of the email.
We look forward to hearing from you!