Accessibility Statement for Women In Military Service For America Memorial
This website is run by The Military Women’s Memorial, the site has gone through the full process of an accessibility audit, and has passed the final automated and manual audit, after completing the remediation process. It is designed to be used by as many people as possible.
Military Women’s Memorial is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
Measures to support accessibility
Military Women’s Memorial takes the following measures to ensure accessibility of Women In Military Service For America Memorial:
- Appoint an accessibility officer and/or ombudsperson.
- Employ formal accessibility quality assurance methods.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. Women In Military Service For America Memorial is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA. Partially conformant means that some parts of the content do not fully conform to the accessibility standard.
Navigation should be easy for Assistive technologies like:
• Screen Reader (NVDA, JAWS, VoiceOver).
• Screen Magnifiers (Zoom up to 200%).
• Navigating the Website using only a Keyboard.
PDF and Downloadable content:
This site has been remediated so that the PDF content is also accessible when produced by Women In Military Service For America Memorial. The PDF documents (2 documents) included in this site have been remediated for compliance to WCAG 2.1 AA.
PDFs with financial information produced by 3rd parties cannot be remediated to be compliant with WCAG 2.1 AA or be modified in any way, we cannot guaranty the compliance of these PDFs content (6 documents).
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
Women In Military Service For America Memorial is designed to be compatible with the following assistive technologies:
• Firefox, NVDA on Windows
• Chrome, JAWS on Windows
• Safari, VoiceOver on Mac
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of Women In Military Service For America Memorial. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers on Women In Military Service For America Memorial:
• Phone: 703/963-8188
• E-mail: [email protected]
• Visitor address: Memorial Ave. & Schley Dr. Arlington, VA 22202 Military Women’s Memorial
• Postal address: The Women In Military Service For America Memorial Foundation, Inc. 200 North Glebe Rd. Suite 400 Arlington, VA 22203
We try to respond to feedback within 5 business days.
Physical Accessibility to the Memorial:
The Military Women’s Memorial is committed to providing inclusive experiences, and we welcome all visitors. If you would like to discuss specific needs or accommodations, please email [email protected].
• A limited number of complimentary wheelchairs are available from the Coat Check on a first-come, first-served basis.
• The Theater has accessible seating available. Ask a team member for assistance.
• Elevators are available and reach every level of the Memorial.
• Tours with an ASL interpreter are available with two-weeks advance notice. Email [email protected] for details.
• You can call us at 703/963-8188
Accessibility of Women In Military Service For America Memorial relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used
This website went through an auditing process from October 22, 2020 to January 1, 2021.
Limitations and alternatives
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of Women In Military Service For America Memorial, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for Women In Military Service For America Memorial:
• “Take our Tour” page: The link leads to a site that is not accessible because It is an unassociated third party. We have contacted the owner of the site and we hope they change their accessibility status.
• Images: Images in the site do not have accurate alternative text, we are currently working on getting accurate alternative text for all non-decorative images on the site.
• Tab index and Visual Focus: In the curators corner, the buttons/links (Parachutes & Trousseaux, etc.) are not part of the tab index and do not have visual focus. We are currently working on finding out why these elements are being skipped by keyboard navigation and focus.
• Image Carousels in featured exhibits: The image carousels for the featured exhibits in the curators corner have a hover activated text layer that cannot be read by screen readers. This hover activated layers will be modified or removed depending on accessibility needs and the capability and choices of the authors of the site.
• PDF transcripts: In A Christmas Letter, 1963; there is no transcript of the letter. We are in the process of digitizing parts of our collection, including this letter and others like it.
• Video and Captions: The video on the homepage and the videos on the Media page do not have synchronized captions, additionally the video player used cannot be activated by using the keyboard. We are working on creating an accessible video player and correct synchronized captions to add to these videos.
• Arrow buttons for the image Carrousels: The arrow buttons need to be labelled according to their positions (forward, back or previous, next). The arrows in the image carousel seem to have issues being isolated and labelled as they should, out developer is working to label them according to compliance.
• Mobile: Currently the site has a few issues with mobile accessibility, an accessibility audit has been made and the results are now taken into account by the developer of this site. We are working on making this site accessible for mobile devices that are not older than 5 years.
If you find any other issues or have encountered any difficulties navigating this site please send an email to [email protected]. Women In Military Service For America Memorial is working for accessibility and universal use.
Military Women’s Memorial assessed the accessibility of Women In Military Service For America Memorial by the following approaches:
• A formal quality assurance process throughout the design and development process
An evaluation report for Women In Military Service For America Memorial is available for download.
A VPAT was created for and by Women In Military Service For America Memorial, the VPAT is available for download.
Formal approval of this accessibility statement
This Accessibility Statement is approved by:
Military Women’s Memorial
Director of Programs
We aim to respond to accessibility feedback within 5 business days, and to propose a solution within 10 business days.
January 1, 2021
This statement will be updated if any new accessibility barrier is found by regular users or by monitor testing.